Examination of Conscience
"Behold, I come quickly: and my reward is with me
to render to every man according to his works."
Reward for Our Works (Rev 22:12-15)
1. I am the Lord your God. You shall not have strange gods before me.
2. You shall not take the Name of the Lord your God in vain.
- Do I give God time every day in prayer?
- Do I seek to love Him with my whole heart?
- Have I been involved with superstitious practices or have I been involved with the occult?
- Do I seek to surrender myself to God's word as taught by the Church?
- Have I ever received Communion in the state of mortal sin?
- Have I deliberately told a lie in Confession or have I witheld a mortal sin from the priest in Confession?
- Are there other 'gods' in my life
- money, security, power, people, etc?
- Has work interfered in my relationship with God?
3. Remember to keep holy the Lord's Day.
- Have I used God's Name in vain: lightly or carelessly?
- Have I been angry with God?
- Have I wished evil upon any other person?
- Have I insulted a sacred person or abused a sacred object?
4. Honor your father and your mother.
- Have I deliberately missed Mass on Sundays or Holy Days of Obligation?
- Have I tried to observe Sunday as a family day and a day of rest?
- Do I do needless work on Sunday?
- Does work prevent me from going to church?
- Do I ever say, "I'm too busy" to go to church?
5. You shall not kill.
- Do I honor and obey my parents?
- Have I given my family good religious example?
- Do I try to bring peace into my home life?
- Do I care for my aged and infirm relatives?
6. You shall not commit adultery.
- Have I had an abortion or encouraged or helped anyone to have an abortion?
- Have I knowingly and willingly voted for a politician whose public record has supported abortion-on-demand?
- Have I physically harmed anyone?
- Have I abused alcohol or drugs?
- Have I driven under the influence of alcohol?
- Have I drunk to excess? Have I drunk under age?
- Did I give scandal to anyone, thereby leading them into sin?
- Have I been angry or resentful?
- Have I harbored hatred in my heart?
- Have I mutilated myself through any form of sterilization?
- Have I encouraged or condoned sterilization?
- Have I engaged, in any way, in sins against human life such as artificial contraception,
artificial insemination or in-vitro fertilization?
- Have I participated in or approved of euthanasia?
7. You shall not steal.
- Am I living in an illicit marriage, that is, in a situation of public and permanent adultery (after a civil divorce)?
- Is my first spouse still alive, and have I 'remarried' ouside of the Church?
- Have I sought a divorce or willingly accepted a divorce?
- Have I engaged in any sexual activity outside of marriage?
- Have I used any method of contraception or artificial birth control?
- Have I been guilty of masturbation?
- Do I seek control of my thoughts and imagination?
- Have I respected all members of the opposite sex, or have I thought of other people as mere objects?
- Have I been guilty of fornication with members of the opposite or same sex?
- Do I seek to be chaste in my thoughts, word, and actions? (especially with boyfriend/girlfriend)
- Am I careful to dress modestly?
- Have I ever watched, purchased, or sold pornography?
8. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
- Have I stolen what is not mine?
- Have I returned or made restitution for what I have stolen?
- Do I waste time at work, school, or at home?
- Do I gamble excessively?
- Do I pay my debts promptly?
- Do I seek to share what I have with the poor?
- Have I cheated anyone out of what is justly theirs; for example, creditors, insurance companies, or big corporations?
9. You shall not desire your neighbor's wife.
- Have I lied? Have I gossiped?
- Do I speak badly of others behind their backs?
- Am I sincere in my dealings with others?
- Am I critical, negative, or uncharitable in my thoughts of others?
- Do I keep secret what should be kept confidential?
- Have I injured the reputation of others by slander?
10. You shall not desire your neighbor's goods.
- Have I consented to impure thoughts?
- Have I caused them by impure reading, movies, television. conversation, or curiosity?
- Do I pray at once to banish impure thoughts and temptations?
- Have I behaved, in an inappropriate way, with members of the opposite sex: flirting, being superficial, etc?
- Am I envious of what other people have?
- Do I envy the families or possessions they have?
- Am I greedy or selfish?
- Is accumulating material possessions the purpose of my life?